Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Summer veg prep

 Hi there! 

If you’re reading this it’s likely because you follow me on social media or because you stumbled across this blog, either way thank you for being here. 

Today I thought I would tell you about the harvest I’ve had from the allotment this week. 

I am lucky enough to be able to have an allotment with my mum and this year it has been incredibly fruitful. Today I’ve prepped and cooked over a kilo of tomatoes for sauce, onions for freezing, courgettes & squashes to freeze for sauces over the winter and Maiden was very kind and shucked a load of mini corns for freezing to add to noodles over the winter! Today my mum picked pears to ripen for jams and desserts so I will have to wait a little while before being able to cook those! 

I hope you can see the photo of the veg n fruit that I had to make my way through,, it was good fun! I was able to do it all while listening to some YouTube videos and talking with the ppl I live with. 

The tomato sauce was left to slowly cook until all the fruit was fully softened and ready to be reduced down into a sauce. 

The onions were caramelised and portioned up for pastas, soups n stews over the winter. 

The courgettes and squashes were chopped up and par cooked for sauces over the winter months also! 

I plan to make a courgette cake soon with the next crop that we pick, I can’t wait! 

If anyone reading this has any recipes for courgettes, summer squashes and tomatoes please send them my way! I’m always looking for more ways to use up my veggies :’) 

No comments:

Post a Comment